Height of Barriers to increase at HWRCs in Manchester

Greetings,

I learned from this article on Monday that the height for the barriers at Household Waste Recycling Centres (HWRCs) in Manchester is to be raised from 6,1" to 6,6".

This is to encourage those with people carriers to visit HWRCs and hence to improve recycling rates further.

I have actually spent the past couple of weeks on HWRCs around Manchester taking surveys. I think it's great that we encourage as many people to visit HWRCs as possible. We don't want people dumping old radios and furniture in household bins because their car won't fit under the barrier at the local HWRC.

My concern would be that this may encourage more traders to visit and illegally dump trade waste at HWRCs. From what I have observed over the past couple of weeks this is already a problem at a number of site in Greater Manchester and can be hard for the men on site to prevent - even if there is a 'meet and greet'.

For more on my surveying activities please feel free to visit my blog => ecofocused.com

... and of course feel free to comment.

Onwards & upwards!

Joe.

Comments

Popular Posts