Fashionable Recycling

I'm hardly the most fashionable person in the world. I can't bring myself to wear skinny jeans, I can't wear those flat caps that are 'in' at the moment without actually looking like an apprentice farmer, and I'm not entirely sure what a cummerbund is or does.


I was the kid at school who never quite got it right on mufti days. I was the awkward teenager who was always just behind the trend. I was the guy who went on holiday and could never walk properly in flip flops. Less casual beach bum's stroll, more soldier's parade march. One thing I can do, though, is recycle. I can recycle till the cows come home, my friends. (On that note, maybe I should be wearing one of those flat caps).

Some may argue that recycling hasn't got anything to do with fashion. Those who do are in need of some 21st century education. Wasting stuff is not fashionable. It's an attitude that needs tackling, something EMERGE aims to do every day.

This month, from the 13th to the 23rd, Recycle for Greater Manchester are running their award-winning Watch Your Waste campaign which seamlessly (see what I did there?) blends fashion and recycling into loving siblings. Along with partners Stitched Up, there's free sewing classes helping you to re-vamp your wardrobe and a "Science of Fashion" show at the Museum of Science and Industry where you can mingle with upcycling designers. I might even learn how to turn one of my old jumpers into an exciting range of flat caps.

To find out more, check out RFGM's page!


__________
Laurence
The Contemporary Caveman

Comments

Popular Posts